Thursday, March 13, 2008

Laundry & Cupcakes

Because I'm enjoying my life here in Paris so much there are few things that I miss about my life/lifestyle in NYC. As I sit here contemplating doing two loads of laundry it just dawned on me how much I really miss my wash & fold laundry service from my days in NYC. I would throw my dirty laundry in a bag, someone would pick it up, and voila like magic my laundry bag would reappear with my clothes all clean and neatly folded. What made wash & fold in New York so special was that it really wasn't that much of a luxury service. When I did the math I only ended up spending a few dollars extra by not doing my laundry myself. I do realize that no amount of nostalgia is going to get my laundry done so I should motivate myself to face the mundane task.

One other thing that I really miss are cupcakes. I love French pastries as much as the next person but I have a deep fondness for cupcakes. Living in NYC I had access to some of the best cupcakes available Crumbs, Magnolia Bakery and my neighborhood favorite Yura & Company and now I have access to none. Woe is me!!

6 comments:

Euronewyorker said...

OH, I miss Magnolia Bakery cupcakes, too ;( and, of course, there is nothing like them here either. Next best thing is make a batch at home (I have their recipe and it's a cinch - LMK if you want it) and close my eyes and pretend I'm on Bleecker Street.

Bagels are another thing I miss. I could murder an oat bran bagel with LF scallion cream cheese right now.

Ken Broadhurst said...

Have you gone to a French laundry and asked about their services. I know some do "lavé et plié" that might fill your need.

Anonymous said...

Magnolia- yum!!!!

The Un-Ashtangi said...

Ken I think the pressing place across the street does lavé and plié but such luxuries are out of my budget for the moment. Soon, perhaps they won't be.

Pigtown*Design said...

When I moved to Wales, we didn't have a drier... we had a washer though. I could NOT stand my clothes are hard from hanging them over the radiators or the racks. I finally found a laundry service, but the didn't have fabric softener sheets. I had to get my mother to send me a box.

Oh.. and I missed Mexican food like anything!

JouJou Loves You said...

Ahhhh I have been talking about cupcakes since I came to Tunis! Apparently you can buy cake mix at the US embassy (they have a mini grocery store in there) and frosting...I need to stop being lazy and get to baking!