Saturday, December 20, 2008

You Say Curry I Say Curry

There are about 4 or 5 places that I go to regularly for lunch when I’m at work. There’s one placed called Roxanne that I really enjoy and because of my frequent visits I’ve somewhat “befriended” the workers and they’re always kind and patient with me. There’s another sandwich place closer to my office called Les Enfants de la Cuisine that I go to on occasion because they offer hot sandwiches. I generally like going here because they offer a large variety of sandwiches which are within my self imposed eating guidelines.

The problem with Les Enfants is that whenever I order a curry chicken sandwich the man behind the counter gives me this quizzical look and repeats my order back to me “un sandwich curry” and I reply “oui”. What I really want to say is “isn’t that what I just flipping said” but I was raised with some manners and so I refrain. Actually, I don’t say that because I’m not sure how to in French and the last thing I would want is for the process to repeat itself over again. And folks isn’t not like my pronunciation of curry and his pronunciation of curry are all that different. They each have the same number of letters and syllables. Go figure.

So I’ve officially decided to remove Les Enfants from my lunch rotation until further notice. This isn’t really saying much since I only have 2 more working days until the beginning of next year but the folks there don’t know that.

No comments: