Sunday, July 29, 2007

She's Coming Undone

As the clock clicks closer and closer to September 17th I find myself getting more and more stressed out about my move to France. Perhaps these feelings are only natural but at times I feel nearly incapacitated by the number of things that I need to accomplish in such a short time frame (49 days to be exact). I know I'm not the first person to be in my situation and I know there are countless others that have done it before me but at this moment I feel like I'm not going to be able to get it all done. When I think about it my life here in New York City it really isn't all that bad. I have a decent job, a great group of friends, a semi-active social life and I'm fluent in the language. Why put myself through such undue stress?

What makes matters even worse is that there are some things that I simply can't do yet such as get my visa because I have yet to receive my passport or my arrêté de nomination. And let's not even discuss housing.

So instead of feeling excited by this wonderful opportunity that I have before me I'm feeling daunted and overwhelmed. I do see the light at the end of the tunnel that unfortunately it is not shining as brightly as it once has.

3 comments:

Potted Farm said...

I COMPLETELY understand your stress levels. I was like that before I studied abroad two years ago. My best piece of advice is to try and be really patient and just roll with the punches. I know it's hard... I'm the kind of person that likes to make detailed lists and schedules, but things seem to work out even better when they are unplanned. And besides, if you get really stressed IN France, that's what French wine is for. Right? :)

Anonymous said...

I've just spent one year living in Paris working with a holiday work visa. I am eager to return for another year but am still waiting for this "arrete de nomination" can anyone tell me what it is and who is supposed to give it to me:)
the French Consulate here in Vancouver tells me that my employer takes care of it, but my employer has no idea hat it is! Help

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can completely relate to your sentiment in this post. The second thoughts. I am a teacher and have been seriously contemplating a move to Paris for at least a year. I've had all the same feelings...why, when I can teach here in the US and I speak the language, I have friends and a home. My conclusion is that its my sense of adventure that motivates me. I will do it one day soon.