Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Social Media Etiquette

Several weeks ago I attended the Paris Motor Show with a friend (PMS as my French colleagues amusingly referred to it as). I wrote a big long post about it but I have since deemed it not worthy of publishing. What is worth publishing, maybe only marginally so, is the following question:

What is the proper etiquette when one sees a fellow blogger's husband at an auto show? Mind you Blogger #1 has never met Blogger #2 in person or by other means and therefore by the law of syllogism one can assume that Blogger #1 has never met the husband in question that was spotted at the auto show.

And as an ancillary question how should one handle the awkward situation when they see a person that they recognize from a friend's <insert social network here> friend list?

No one wants to come across as a weird stalker freak. Trust me I know this from first hand experience.

5 comments:

Nicole J. Butler said...

I would just say "You look familiar." then *realize* "Oh, I know - I've seen pictures of you on your wife's blog! I really enjoy it." Wish him well, and keep it moving. Maybe later (if you feel compelled), post a note on the blog to let the author know that you met her husband.

No crazy.

The end.

Sarah said...

Hmm, that seems like an awkward situation, indeed. My husband was there (working), it wasn't him you saw was it? I guess if I hadn't met the blogger before, I probably wouldn't say anything, but if I'd already met her, I'd probably say something like, "is your wife insert name here?" and then tell him how you recognized him and move along.

The Un-Ashtangi said...

LOL no it wasn't your husband I would have recognized him and said hello. The husband in question belonged to a non Parisian blogger.

I'm too shy to walk up to compete strangers Mills wanted to say something but I wouldn't let him.

Anonymous said...

Haha, you saw Madame K's husband didn't you?

That is freakin hilarious. Did you tell her?

The Un-Ashtangi said...

Rochelle that's who I think it was but I haven't told her.