Friday, November 7, 2008

The Obama Effect

The day after the election my friend John sent me an instant message that said something along the lines of "people just seem happier and nicer today". I thought to myself that his sentiment was entirely true. I was walking around the streets of Paris with a little extra pep in my step. I also had colleagues congratulating me on Obama's big win (not that I had much to do with it aside from the few phone calls I made to some swing states during the primaries and 2 weeks before the election). The man behind the counter at my favorite lunch spot even asked me if I was happy with the results of the election.

But for me the icing on the cake was when I went to the Yoga studio to buy a 10 class card and instead of paying the regular rate of 175 euros the guy working there gave me the student rate of 155 euros. His kindness and generosity probably had nothing at all to do with Obama being elected president but in my own little word I'd like to think that there is a correlation between the two.

1 comment:

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Good for you for getting the student rate!! I think tons of French folks are happy he won, too!! We need to start mending our foreign relations... Sooo broken after Bush took over!!